Liverpool T-shirts

Friday 10 May 2013

Managerial Changes At Our Rivals

 I try to keep this website more Liverpool related and not comment too much on other clubs but this week has seen both of biggest rivals lose long term managers who have brought relative success to their football clubs so I felt it was worthy of a few words.

 It’s impossible to knock Alex Ferguson’s domestic success despite the slightly disappointing return of ‘only’ two European Cups in over a quarter of a century. I’ve no doubt his departure can only weaken Man Utd, though by how much only time will tell. I had a feeling he would go if they won the title, he sees Man City’s finances as a genuine threat and there’s no way he would want to retire with City as champions so he’s gone while he’s on top, and you can’t blame him for that.

 I’m obviously pleased that Man Utd will be weakened but to be honest I’m a bit disappointed with the timing. They have several ageing key players and now will have a new manager coming in, which will kick off a period of transition for a side that can fairly be described as the best of a bad bunch this season. I would expect them to struggle by their standards for the next couple of seasons and I’m gutted we’re not yet in a position to take advantage of this. If Fergie could have kept going one more year and then left, leaving us a year further down the road in our progress I would be happier.

 While Utd’s annual league finish being higher than ours has a sort of permanent feel to it, Everton’s feels temporary. It looks like they’ll (deservedly) finish above us this time, making it two seasons in a row but I’d expect with Moyes leaving, possibly along with a few key players, normal order to be restored from next season onwards. It’s been a long time since Everton have been challenging for top honours so finishing above them is a much lesser aim than it was in the eighties, but it’s still nice to be the top team in the city. I completely agree that the difference between finishing sixth and seventh is pretty irrelevant, but anybody who says they’re not bothered at all if we finish below Everton is a liar.

 In my opinion David Moyes replacing Alex Ferguson at Man Utd will weaken both clubs so overall as a Liverpool fan I’m happy, but I’m certainly not celebrating the changes like some people are. And it’s nice after all the stick that Utd fans have given Rafa it was a victory by his side at Old Trafford that finally pushed Fergie over the edge and into retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment