Liverpool T-shirts

Friday 26 April 2013

Why I Feel Wronged By The Whole Luis Suarez Saga

 This last week since Luis Suarez bit Branislav Ivanovic has been difficult for rationally minded people, it's been hard, it's been tiring, it's been frustrating and most of all it's been exasperating. The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth (excuse the pun) that I'm not convinced I'll ever fully get rid of.

 Let's start at the beginning.

 I feel cheated by Luis Suarez. Our talented Uruguayan is probably the most exciting player that someone of my generation has seen in a Liverpool shirt. His skill, work rate, love of the game and desire to win is unbelievable, he's almost like Fowler, McManaman, Barnes, Owen, Torres and Kuyt all rolled into one. When he was banned for racially abusing Patrice Evra I continued to support him. I'm not going to go over old ground but the evidence was never 100% substantial, and as long as there was even a tiny bit of doubt I wasn't willing to give up on him and hang him out to dry. On the occasion of his most recent indiscretion I felt let down by one of my favourite Liverpool players. Yes, I feel angry about the inconsistencies in the FA disciplinary procedures that mean he will miss ten games, but what is in no doubt at all is his guilt. Only he and Evra really know exactly what was or wasn't said when they squared up in the six yard box in front of the Kop, but when he inexplicably chose to bite Ivanovic on almost the exact same blade of grass the whole world saw him do it. I can have my opinions on the severity of his punishment, but I can do nothing at all to defend his behaviour. I hope he stays at Liverpool and I will continue to give him my full support, but my trust in probably the most dynamic player I've ever seen play for us isn't completely there anymore and for that I feel cheated.

 I feel cheated by the general public. For all it's problems I'm proud to be English and live in England. I love English food, the English sense of humour, English beer and certainly English football. The reaction of the English public to Suarez' bite left me in despair. Yes, he bit him. But it wasn't exactly a full blooded assault, my eight month old son regularly causes me more physical pain than Suarez caused Ivanovic. The reaction of the public was as if they'd seen a different incident. All of a sudden biting became the worst sin a person could commit. Had Suarez grabbed Ivanovic by the throat with one hand and punched him unconscious with the other he couldn't possibly have been more strongly condemned than he was for what was actually, in terms of how painful it was, a very minor scrape on a football pitch. The public reaction was nothing short of hysteria, there was nothing even remotely approaching a measured verdict, just a demand for the death penalty. People actually telephoned the police to complain about the 'assault'. Talk about wasting police time. It's just people wanting to see someone else get in trouble because they obviously haven't got enough excitement in their own lives and I pity them. And as for the lady who called radio 5 to blame Suarez for her son being bitten in school, don't even get me started on that one! I want to live in a society where at least the majority of people are right minded, even handed and not bitter about others making a success of themselves but it seems I don't, and for that I feel cheated.

 I feel cheated by the media. Seriously, some of these football journalists have been reporting on the game for decades and have seen things happen on a pitch that you wouldn't believe. They've seen all sorts of manner of violent conduct, all kinds of injuries and more dramatic confrontations than you can count. They're bound to put what was a very minor (but still very wrong) act of physical violence into perspective aren't they? They know what they're talking about. But I forgot, controversy sells papers. Nobody wants to read that what Suarez did was naughty but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't that bad, so nobody wrote that. People wanted a public execution so that's what the papers gave them. Jamie Redknapp and Graeme Souness, two former Liverpool captains who have seen a lot in the game and, one much more than the other, been involved in violent altercations, often of their own making. Claiming to have never seen anything like it on a football pitch when a high profile Premier League star had done the same thing only a few years previous smacked of hyping things up to get themselves noticed. It comes to something when you eventually find the voice of reason in Gary Neville. I respect the written word and the tradition of impartially reporting the facts, but now there's no way I can form an opinion of something I haven't seen with my own eyes by reading the trusty old back pages, and for that I feel cheated.

 I feel cheated by the FA. When the ban came through as ten matches I was shocked. I completely expected it and had predicted ten games, but only because I felt the FA would bow to the mass hysteria rather than actually look at what happened and reach an outcome that reflected what the crime was, not the over-hyped version of the crime doing the rounds on Facebook, Twitter etc... On 'Judgement Day' I'd somehow convinced myself that the ban would be in proportion to the offence so when it came through as more than double what John Terry received for calling Anton Ferdinand a f**king black c*nt I lost all faith in the organisation that presides over the sport I love, and for that I feel cheated.

 I feel cheated by Liverpool Football Club. After the negative press we got for the handling of the last Suarez saga I was very impressed with how we responded on Sunday evening. Lessons had clearly been learned. And then the charge was announced. All sense of a measured approach was lost. We stated that a three game ban was sufficient, why was that allowed to happen, never mind be made public? Yes, a three game ban for violent conduct is the norm, but whether you feel this incident was particularly serious or not it was certainly different and would be treated as such. There are four games to go in a season that is already over for us, keep your mouths shut and the logical four game ban will surely follow. Then the ban length was made public by the FA. It was clear that in attempting to tell the FA not to ban him for more than three matches we'd angered them and it had hurt Suarez' case. So what did we do? Criticised them, publicly. Ruining any chance of an appeal. Seriously, how hard would it have been to say 'I'd rather make no further comment on the matter until it is concluded'? I wanted a sensible response to the matter from LFC and they failed spectacularly and for that I feel cheated.

 I feel cheated by the Prime Minister. This morning David Cameron stepped in to condemn Luis Suarez' behaviour as an appalling example for children. This coming from a man who left his own daughter in a pub. Well firstly Mr Cameron, since you've been in power you've cut funding in several cultural areas and as a consequence my girlfriend lost her job, so Suarez will not be a bad example to my son as I can't afford to take him to football anyway, thank you. And secondly, I know you've been trying to make childcare more affordable, but having Luis Suarez bring up my kid is not a route I'm going to go down. There are two people who will be responsible for teaching my son what is right and what is wrong, HIS PARENTS. A few weeks ago Mr Cameron was asked his opinion on whether or not the Formula 1 Grand Prix should take place in Bahrain despite the country's deplorable human rights record - his response? 'That's for Formula 1 to decide'. So in summary, human rights = not for me to comment on, a little bite = where's the nearest microphone? I haven't voted for you before and I won't be voting for you in future. I believe politicians should run the country and focus on what is important but on this evidence it seems they don't, and for that I feel cheated.

 I feel cheated by the FA again. I'd just got my head around the ten match ban. I'd rationalised it. Suarez accepted a seven game ban for a similar offence a couple of years back, he repeated offended so yes, I can see the logic in giving him the same ban again with a few games added on as he clearly hadn't learned his lesson. But then came the FA report with their reasoning. I'm not going to take it apart in great detail as I'm sure several other websites will be doing that. But in short biting somebody is more serious than tripping over a referee because it got more mentions on Twitter. So it has to be ten matches. The Jermaine Defoe bite cannot be considered a precedent as the referee saw it, and the other biting incident (Chester's Sean Hessey receiving a 5 game ban) won't be looked at in any way, shape or form as part of deciding what punishment is appropriate. I'm convinced Suarez' decision not to appeal was not based on him thinking the punishment was fair but on him expecting his ban to be extended if he did. And this extension would come from the same FA who appealed Wayne Rooney's red card for England when his guilt was as obvious as Suarez' in this case. I can't quite believe how far out the FA have got their priorities and I have no faith at all anybody will be punished fairly by them in future, and for this I feel cheated.

 It can't be all doom and gloom. I don't want to be bitter and angry so I'm looking for good in this whole situation too, and it's not hard to find. For a start the Hillsborough Family Support Group has an extra £200,000 to help it's cause. And surely now the FA (with it's new Man Utd supporting chairman, assisted by his Man Utd supporting vice chairman) will come under intense pressure to reform it's disciplinary procedures which currently seem to follow the 'we make it up as it suits us' rule and not a lot else. And also this week Man Utd won the title for the 20th time and it has slipped totally under the radar so every cloud......

 That's it from me for now, I'm off to watch some rugby.

10 comments:

  1. My god man, never get married, you will be feeling cheated your whole life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I hope it won't feel like that!

      I just think everything that has gone on this week has been such a long way away from reality it's almost laughable.

      Delete
  2. I read this agreeing nod my head with excitement thinking yeah thats right then tomorrow ill buy a paper and read crap the pr people at liverpool are terrible the evra saga illustrates that to this day i believe liverpool should have got the police involved it was a joke from start to finish and i got the impression that liverpool seemed to be holding a trump card which they never dealt??
    On this incident i just cant believe the comments the statements the interviews ur bang on about role models /parents i want but brendan rodgers to question is this a more dangerous incident than fellani headbutting elbowing shawcross and doing it more than once when could have calmed down and thought?.is the outcome worse than roy keane ending that man citys player Career with a high challenge pre meditated and then bragged admitted it in his book?is it morally worse than john terrying shagging a fellow team mates wife a fellow england players wife?is it morally worse than ryan giggs shagging his brothers wife? Is it worse than rooney swearing into a camera lens at point view?when drogba lay on floor pretending to be injured then sneaked a peak to see who was looking? It was for chelsea in europe deemed acceptable?if that was suarez now?when henry handled against henry-there was talk of replays and all sorts if rooney handballs to send england thru to world cup will we get same reactions?at the same time i dont want BR to say anything build a
    bastion of invicabilty then let em have it! I fear for a player i read a book about a keeper who played depressed took his own life national papers and press hound players for there sins like suarez and for mistakes honest players phil neville scott carson paul robinson on england duty theres no need of it theres plenty of topics and punditry to talk about without the hounding and witch hunt alright hes guilty but hes probably had equal media to the boston bombers

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot that we'd like Brendan Rodgers to say, everything you mentioned plus more, but in his position you have to be careful what you say. I think the FA's inconsistencies are so obvious though that he doesn't really need to point them out, you'd have to be blind to miss them!

    It's hard to condemn somebody as a person based purely on what they do on a football pitch. Some players lead perfect lives off the pitch but will be forever criticised for how they behave on it, others may never step out of line during a game but are total arseholes in their personal lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah fair points!i think i could take it if the fa say weve made mistakes in the past but from now on any biting will be a 10 game ban but i just feel theyve now created a big problem next time something happens every1 will point to 10 game for biting?every incident will be compared to better or worse than biting.why not simplfly it bring out any1 who is seen to deliberatly head butt elbow puch bite or spit be given an automatic ban for
    pre agreed number of games ie head butt punch elbow 10 games spitting 8games biting 6games And as. And when other incidents occur set a precedent and then all offences like that be consistent with that simple!also if suarez bite Had been seen By the ref then am i right in saying 4match max ban?? Or if hed been booked then the fa couldnt Have done anything this rule is ridiculous im not for undermining refs by always questioning and reviewing there decision there job is made hard enough by the 30 different angles slow mos and the lack of respect the players show each other by diving feigning injury u gain 1 week u lose to some1 else at the moment the majority of the time the cheats prosper and the honest get left behind this needs addressing
    Finally suarez for all his flaws has an unbelievable ability very disappointed that gordon taylor hasnt shown him support being pfa chairmen.suarez hes clearly got some issues he doesnt go round biting every week hes a target for players this year against norwich he was taken out the center half then put on a show that suarez had dived.people may say just deserved after benifiting from a dive id say that players are doing what will get them an advantage.its the fa the head of the game that needs to gain peoples respect and sort the problem of cheating and respect out there the laughing stock suarez Well he could be a saint for 50games then do something u could punish him 50 times your more likely judging by his look lose his spirit than his issues he needs help as well as his punishment

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Jay
    totally agree with everything you say. The problem i have is that i now find it difficult to pick up a paper or switch on the tv or search across the internet in and read anything believeable. There are one or two red sites which are now simply linked by computer to the net so under the name Liverpool website you get stories abour helen flannagen?. Even the echo is filled with more comments from other supporters ending up as a tit for tat board resulting in those trying to form a reasonable discussion shouted down. Is there anywhere i can go where i can read about up to date LFC stories without people putting their oar in?
    Thanks
    Loz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, cheers for reading, glad you agreed with the article. There's a lot of rubbish written about LFC (probably about most clubs I'd imagine) on the internet and you're right, it is hard to find something decent to read. I think the best way to get decent Liverpool stories is to keep searching for LFC blogs and websites until you've found a few you can trust and stick with them. I use the newsnow feed which I found on www.ynwa.tv , hover over where it says 'news' and click on 'newsnow'. It does have a lot of crap on there but you can usually tell from the headlines whether or not the story will be worth reading.

      One of the best LFC websites is The Tomkins Times but it's a subscription site so you have to pay to read the articles. The guy knows what he's on about the majority of the time though.

      Football is such an emotive subject it's very difficult to find anything neutral and balanced, but not everybody want balanced football coverage anyway, they all want to read only good things about their team and bad things about their rivals.

      Another way of finding a decent LFC website is starting one yourself. The one I do uses Blogger and it's really easy to set up and maintain. Or another option is writing articles for an existing website, I occasionally have stuff by guest writers and it provides a good balance having some stories written by people other than me, helps get a fresh perspective.

      I tend to get most of my Liverpool information purely by watching the games and applying common sense to what I see and sometimes read. In truth I think there isn't really that much concrete news in football, just lots and lots of speculation so it's possible to put lots of time into finding something to read only to find it's a non-story anyway..

      Delete
  6. Just a quick one to say, I always look forward to your blogs. Keep up the good work.

    ps I dont know how you get time with a 8 month to deal with aswell.

    Marc O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, thanks for reading.

      How did you find out about the website if you don't mind me asking?

      Delete
  7. On the LFC Live app.

    ReplyDelete