Liverpool T-shirts

Thursday 14 March 2013

This Is MY Liverpool

 Liverpool Football Club is many different things to many people, to some it’s a hobby, to others it’s a religion, to some a passing interest, to others something to lose hours of sleep over every night. There are Liverpool supporters happy to find out the final score on teletext hours after the game has finished, others in far flung countries will get out of bed at 2am to watch a 0-0 draw with Wigan before a full day at work. We all love the club and nobody can honestly say it means more or less to them than to anyone else, we just follow the Reds in different ways.

 This is MY Liverpool.

 I was taken to my first Liverpool game sometime in the mid eighties, we beat Arsenal 2-1, we were sat in the Paddock and my ticket cost £1.50. I was hooked, I loved the whole thing, the stadium, the noise, the full experience. I was used to watching football on TV and one of the things that I still remember clearly from that first taste of live football was the realisation that when you’re in the stadium you don’t get action replays. A goal was scored and I didn’t get to see it again from several angles, I think this taught me very early on to pay full attention to what was going on, if you miss something that’s it, it’s missed forever. Even to this day I’ll never have more than a couple of beers before going to a game, must be able to take everything in.

 Trips to Anfield became a part of my life, though not particularly regularly, they were certainly a treat and not the norm. I do remember a stadium tour, before they became as slick as they are now, it was a case of ‘there’s the pitch, there’s the dressing room, there’s the This Is Anfield sign, there’s the Kop’. But on that tour we did see Ronnie Whelan who was in for treatment at the time. As we were leaving and heading to the car he was also walking out to the car park, me being such a shy kid I ran and hid rather than stopping to talk to him, but he saw me next to the car and said ‘hi’ as he strode past. Thanks for that Ronnie, I missed out on the chance to tell you I had number 5 on the back of my shirt that day and I’ve always regretted it.

 I remember where I was on the day of the Hillsborough tragedy in 1989 but was too young to really understand what had happened. It was only much later when I’ve heard the stories of the survivors and the families affected that it’s really hit home what happened to a large number of supporters of the club I love. I don’t know anybody who was personally affected by the events of that afternoon and yet it’s still a subject I find it hard to talk about, I can only imagine what it must be like for people who lost friends and relatives. Like every other Liverpool fan I fully support the fight for justice and hope that it arrives one day soon, and with it comes a sense of closure for the families.

 There were two things that changed my Liverpool supporting life forever. Firstly I got my driving licence, and secondly I discovered that if I dropped a cheque into an envelope (along with a stamped, SAE) and posted it to the LFC ticket office there would be match tickets dropping through my letterbox within a week or so. This was revolutionary. I could go to watch MY team under MY own initiative, heady days indeed.

 After a few seasons of being a semi-regular at Anfield I found myself even more committed to the cause, and in the 2000/2001 season I only missed one home league game (for which I still hold a grudge against the ticket office), a 2-0 win over Man Utd and one home FA Cup game, a win over Man City. That season we won the UEFA Cup, League Cup and FA Cup, in addition to qualifying for the Champions League for the first time. On May 12th 2001 I was fortunate enough to be in Cardiff for my first ever Cup Final, the 2-1 win over Arsenal thanks to Michael Owen remains just about my favourite ever afternoon in a football stadium.

 In 2002 I embarked on a ninety day trip around America and very quickly invented a new game, which I called ‘how many people’s holiday photos can I get my Liverpool shirt in?’. The rules are fairly self explanatory and it’s quite a lot of fun. There are bus loads of Japanese tourists with photographs of the steps in Philadelphia made famous by the scene in Rocky where he runs to the top (not recommended, there’s A LOT of them) with me standing at the summit, arms aloft, proudly showing my gold ‘HENCHOZ’ ‘2’ shirt. I’m proud of that.

 The next big season for me as a Liverpool fan was Rafa’s first with us. I attended every game at home in the Champions League, the games against Juventus and especially Chelsea will never, ever be forgotten. The noise, the passion, the thrill of the victories, everything. This was MY Liverpool, these were MY nights, the same way generations before me had THEIR nights, THEIR victories when they watched THEIR Liverpool. As much as I wanted to I just couldn’t afford the prices being charged for a trip to Istanbul so I had to settle for watching the game against AC Milan in Concert Square in Liverpool. It was the most amazing match in history and a feeling I didn’t think I’d ever have, but for me the semi final against Chelsea will always edge it out, simply because I WAS THERE.

 Over recent seasons as ticket prices have risen the frequency of my Anfield visits has dropped. I know watching on TV isn’t the same as being in the stadium but when you can get an entire month’s football on the box for the same price as one match ticket it’s hard to justify the spend. I still get to as many cup games as possible, I followed our FA Cup run last term all the way to the semi final – the ticket office again denying me when it came to the biggest game of the season. Missing out on going to the final hurt, but being at Wembley for the semi final win over Everton made up for it, especially being second row right behind the goal where Andy Carroll broke our neighbours hearts. I normally prefer to be high up in the stands where you get a better view of the pattern of play, but I wouldn’t swap where I was that sunny afternoon for anywhere else.

 I’m quite close to the top of the season ticket waiting list and once we either move or increase the Anfield capacity I’m pretty sure I’ll be offered a season ticket. I’m highly doubtful that I’ll be able to fork out the required cash when this happens though, another case of a loyal supporter priced out of the game. And we’re still one of the most reasonably priced clubs in the league, I have sympathy for people who follow other teams and have to pay out even more. I think I’ll have to make do with being a ‘couple of league games a season and as many cup ties as I can manage’ fan. That and catching us every time we’re on TV.

 I have a stash of probably almost fifty Liverpool shirts in a vacuum bag in my loft waiting for the day my son will be old enough to wear them. That day is probably a good fifteen or sixteen years away yet but I’m looking forward to it, I can’t wait to hand over to him what has been a big part of my life.

 For the moment MY Liverpool will have to consist of mostly afternoons and evening watching my beloved Reds on the TV, writing about them regularly on here and defending them on a daily basis against their bitter enemies I seem to have ended up in an office with. Who knows what will happen on the rest of my journey supporting Liverpool? I’m hoping that it will be trophy filled.

 This is MY Liverpool. Please feel free to share your Liverpool story with me.

6 comments:

  1. i am a liverpool fan from malaysia and i am one of the "get out of bed at 2am to watch a 0-0 draw with Wigan before a full day at work" kind of fan.i appreciate your story and and i think that you are very lucky to have experienced all of that especially your "anfield experience".MY lifetime goal is to visit anfield and watch MY liverpool play at least once.cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment all the way from Malaysia. It's a real honour to support a team with dedicated fans all over the world.

    I hope you manage to come to Anfield and see Liverpool play (and win!). If you want to write anything about what it's like supporting Liverpool from so far away I would think about putting it on here, it sounds like it would be an interesting article.

    Cheers

    YNWA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi m a Liverpool fan from Pakistan I was 10 when I started supporting Liverpool m a good football player as well my passion for the reds is simply unbelievable I used to fight sometimes with my friends when they say anything abt reds I remember
    After the Chelsea game 4-4 at the bridge I was chatting with my Chelsea friend I was loosing control its very hard to take so our voices starts rising n we were losing control then one of our teacher came n said that this is a school please leave your fan spirit at home I am that type of fan who used to wake up at 2am without any alarm n knowing that I have a class at 7. Sometimes convincing dad to watch the game instead of changing the channel or simply left the place n went out to couzins home just to get full concentration.I visited England in 2006but unlucky didn't got the chance to visit Anfield its a short stay but m lucky after a long wait the biggest moment of my life comes when reds visited Canada guess what I was in Toronto I really enjoyed a lot n missed Suarez n Gerrard but happy too see Carra its my dream to visit Anfield for Utd game just like Gerrard's playing for Liverpool I wish future success to reds so they can get the glory days back so I can stand tall steam all around YWNWA....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been a fan since I was born in 1995. I have seen Liverpool ups and downs. We are still going to make history in 2-3 seasons. I definately know that I am not the only LFC fan in Kenya. Go Coutinho!! Go Liverpool!!! YNWA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant I'm a Liverpool fan from Cornwall It was the red shirt from a very young age my favourite player was Robbie fowler when he rejoined the team I went out and got really really drunk and have a embarrassing story what happened that I won't share,I'm always looking for a DVD with his goals I think he's missing a trick there!my first game was a nicky tanner testimonial against Yeovil I've been to
    anfield I try to go up everyseason I'm constantly on Internet reading papers watch everygame on tele
    and begrudge sky and espn as I have to go out to
    watch games it's hard to concentrate c exactly
    what's going and often in dis belief of some of the
    trash written in the media.YNWA floyd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Testimonials and pre season friendlies are ideal first games, quite a few of my early trips to Anfield were for testimonials. I remember going to Bruce Grobelaar's and he had a witch doctor on the pitch before the match putting a spell on him so he wouldn't concede another goal. We were 1-0 down after about 5 minutes so the spell obviously didn't work...

    ReplyDelete