Liverpool T-shirts

Monday 9 July 2012

Signing Hints.....

 Brendan Rodgers has dropped a pretty clear hint of a big Liverpool signing this week during his press conference today, saying that hopefully the deal will be done soon and it is a signing that will excite the fans. Sometimes I worry that when a manager says a player will 'excite the fans' what he actually means is 'a player who loves to go forward but won't track back' but I think Rodgers has been impressive so far in knowing what he wants and what kind of mentality he wants at the club so in this case I'm genuinely curious to see who he is talking about. For what it's worth I don't expect it to be a huge name in world football but I feel it could be a decent player with premier league experience, quite possibly Clint Dempsey, Demba Ba or Daniel Sturridge. Other possibilities are players Man City are trying to move on such as Adam Johnson or Emanuel Adebayor.

 I've also been impressed with Rodgers' comments on Alberto Aquilani, saying the midfielder has the technical and tactical ability we are looking for at Liverpool but it's also about the mental steel required to succeed at the club. This is a good assessment of the Italian and a good indicator of the kind of player our new boss wants to build a squad of, basically build on the principles of ability tied to hard work that have helped the club reach the standing it has in world football.

 I'm looking forward to the unveiling of our new signings this summer and I'm beginning to feel extremely positive about the new era we're entering into and I have to remind myself just how far forward we have to move in order to be realistic challengers at the right end of the table. Not quite positive enough to go out and buy our new purple third kit but after the last few seasons any optimism is very welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment